Whether it's for protection from the sun or worn as a statement accessory, sunglasses and sunnies can be regarded as the same thing but are referred to differently depending on where you reside in the globe,
They all serve the same purpose: looking fashionable while blocking your eyes from harsh UV rays.
America vs Australia
Commonly referred to as sunglasses in the United States, sunnies on the other hand is a colloquial term native to Australia and New Zealand.
But let’s take a further ‘look’ into the history of the naming convention to understand these terms better.
Americans often use the word sunglasses, as it was seen as more of a necessary means to block out the sun rather than a fashion accessory.
But down under in Australia, ‘sunnies or specks’ were merely derived from the Aussies habit of shortening words and adapting them to end with an ‘ie’ sound.
‘Sonnenbrille’ and ‘glecks’ are also common terms you will hear in countries like Germany and Scotland. With almost nine hours of sun exposure during Italy’s summers, Italians of all ages can also be seen strolling around town with their ‘Occhiali da sole’ (sunglasses).
Whatever you call them and wherever you sport them, just make sure you wear them for protection and as a finishing touch to your look.
Polarized, tinted lenses and sunglass trends for 2021
Find out everything you need to know to ace the eye candy game with our helpful guide.
Things to consider when choosing the right pair for you:
- Always go for polarized lenses (we don’t mean to brag, but our SOEK fashion wooden frames come polarized, so you never have to squint again!)
- Pick a rating of 2 and above according to Australian standards. This will provide sufficient protection from prolonged exposure to the UV rays.
- The trend forecast points to bright, popping colors that catch the eye.
- Don’t put the price before quality when choosing a pair. The right sunnies may set you back a pretty penny, but they’re an investment.
- Shop for your little ones also, with frame options for all from SOEK.
Where can I find fashionable, eco-friendly sunnies?
Check out our wide range of colourful, comfortable sunnies made sustainably with wood and polarised UV400 lens. We even have a convenient Afterpay option, so you don’t have to break the bank to own a pair of ultra cool Aussie style sunnies.
We even catered for the little sunshine in your life with a range of little SOEK sunglasses tested and ready for any adventure!
Have a question or just want to chat? Contact us.
We’d love to hear from you.
Go SOEK aka ‘search’ for your next great secret location, romantic hideaway or family-friendly beaches and soak up all the sun with no damage to your eyes.
Want to read more about who we are and what we do? Visit our blog.